Friday, February 15, 2013

Uncanny X-Men #1

Creative:
Art: Chris Bachalo, Tim Townsend +
Written: Brian Michael Bendis
Price: $3.99


I was waiting with barely abated anticipation for this comic to come out.  I peeled into my local comic shop Galactic Quest [WUDDUP], shot out of the car, and paced the “New Release Section”- not unlike a seething Sith Warrior- hunting for it.  My eyes finally locked onto it and guess what?  It was the last issue.
All that build up being said, I was pretty disappointed with the first issue.
The story takes place from a different, narrative perspective: Magneto (whom I had pegged instantly as this “nameless stranger” they attempt to keep undiscovered until the very end) approaches Maria Hill with information regarding Cyclops, the seemingly menacing face of the mutant revolution.  The story takes place in a prolonged flashback that depicts Cyclops and his new team of mutant revolutionaries aiding a newly realized mutant.
Rodney King for mutants.
Of course this new mutant would get jumped without due process by the police.  Of course Maria Hill thinks Cyclops a terrorist, and of course the public loves him.  This is why we love the ever-evolving tales of mutants, right?  The social stigmatisms; the media and government induced moral panic; the warring ideologies behind the meanings of Justice; and the empathy that we as readers may or may not associate given the circumstances…beneath the colors and inks and artwork there is something deeper than just the cooler stage of human evolution, and we can feel that, because we know it so well.
Speaking of Artwork…
"I’m-a firin’ mah laser!"

Chris Bachalo (Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, throw a dart at an “X” title and see if it lands on his name), reprising his Uncanny X role, has done a stellar job drawing out the first issue.  His characters remain rugged with this fluidity about them, and the establishing team-shot of Cyclops and his posse actually had me inspired to sit down and draw long after I had put the book down.  Thought admittedly, my main beef would be that the narrative feels forced and too one-dimensional, singularly purposed for the moment leading to Magneto telling (and Bachalo showing) that Cyclops has no control over his powers.  As I had previously mentioned, Magneto is telling the story to us, and as I was reading a visual medium in this instance and not McTeague or a textbook, having to read Magneto’s overlaying narrative when speaking to Hill really took me out of the “present” moment with the other mutants.  He is nice enough, however, to introduce all of the team and their powers: There’s Magik, Tempus, “a young man who hasn’t picked his mutant name yet”, and Emma Frost.
And Emma Frost?  There are very few things I detest more than Emma Frost but this, this was just offensive to me.
Who is that?
She might as well have said: “Gee Magnus, yew might ‘uff been able to wrastle that critter into quite a pickle back un your day!”  I find this incredibly bothersome, because this is not the Emma Frost I know and detest.  Emma Frost and I have always had this complicated, hate-filled relationship - I’m a Virgo, and she’s a bitch.  Ever since she made it her mission to torment X-23 when Wolverine brought the forlorn clone to the mansion I’ve detested that broad.  Yet I’ve always regarded her with amusement that borders respect, in much the similar manner one would a hated rival with whom you share mutual understandings.  So not hearing the snarky, prim and proper White Witch that I’m accustomed to has wounded me.  And then on top of that, Magneto basically told her to shut up and there was nary a retort in sight!  And that costume?
Ok I’m done.  (For now)
Ah.  I see the conundrum there.  Magneto just told Emma Frost to shut up during their fight with the Sentinels, but he’s the one in confinement spilling his guts to Maria Hill.  There’s a simple explanation for that:
Magneto is a snitch.
What’s that thing about stitches?
Now personally my theory is that Magneto could be working undercover for Cyclops, despite the advertisements of a traitor within the group.  It would stand to reason that the first issue could be too early to reveal a traitor and there would be much deeper motives at work here…
But then again, my money was on Cyclops being the turncoat.                                       
Pencil Rogue’s rating: 3.5/5  Worth the read to see how it develops further.

No comments:

Post a Comment