Monday, January 21, 2013

Justice League #15: Throne of Atlantis


Art: Ivan Reis & Joe Prado
Written: Geoff Johns
Price: $3.99

A tad late, I know, but I wanted to post the beginning of the JL event, so that the entirety of Throne of Atlantis will be covered.  Besides, many of Justice League's fans grew used to waiting on their monthly book by now, so one late review shouldn’t be completely inexcusable [no offense to the prior creative team].

The Good:
Let’s jump right in.  Master penciller Ivan Reis makes a splash inside and out as he takes the reins from former monthly pencils Jim Lee.  Never did I think I would ever say removing Jim Lee from a book would make it better, but man did it do the League some good.  Team Reis/Prado kill it in every category, and while I feel for Aquaman’s solo title, it isn’t like Paul Pelletier or Mr. Art Thibert are slackers in any form of the word [more on that later].  So I’m quite comfortable with Aquaman’s loss being Justice League’s gain. 
The cover is simple, but aggressively eye-catching [albeit misleading. Yes, I’m looking at you Shazam] and every panel is as mesmerizing as the last.  I found myself staring at pages upwards of five minutes examining the gills and wrinkles in the fish, the intense detail in the tsunami splash-page, and the actual differences in male faces from all of our leaguers.  Okay, that was a little dirty.

Not to be outdone by his art team, Johns crafts an engaging scenario:  A missile explodes in the mid-Atlantic, a strapping Atlantean is cruising about at the time on his seahorse...

"Neptune’s beard!"

Everyone knew it was game over that second.  Retaliation was definite.  Now maybe it’s the critic in me reading a tad too deeply, but it seems Johns uses the Surface-dweller/Atlantean tension to highlight the tense and unstable relationships among his characters.  And boy are there plenty of those.  We catch a brief conversation between Cyborg and his father, Silas, who haven’t had the nicest of relationships even before Cyborg became half computer.  Their conversation is strained and neither of them seems to want to talk, but Cyborg’s father has taken a new found interest in his son now that he’s everything the scientist has dreamed of since he graduated from high school.

Then there are the humorously pleasant moments between Wonder Woman and Superman that actually ranked up there with my favorite panels.  The writing and colors bring out the unsure but light atmosphere of their new relationship.  It’s nice to see real effort behind their sudden, amorous affair.  At first it felt forced, a “publicity stunt” if you will.  I even thought it wasn't going to last long.  Personally I’m not opposed to it [no disrespect to Lois Lane] but this change of pace is definitely refreshing and I can’t wait to see where it goes.


"Hey I’m still relevant!"

 It’s reminiscent of Alex Ross’ Kingdom Come for me, and I can’t help but chuckle at the memory of the most dangerous man in the universe asked to be godfather of the most powerful fetus in existence.  Think about it: Superman and Wonder Woman have a baby.  It’s invulnerable to everything, stronger than everything, can incinerate you with a look, and oh…IS PART GOD.  Now send that baby to Uncle Batman over the summer to be trained in the arts of theatricality and deception, so that it will easily become the sneakiest, most dangerous being to ever exist on any Earth, in any dimension for all time.


"Alfred, draw up custody papers." [JL #14]

I’m getting ahead of myself though.  Before we can fathom the possibilities of power spawning, we have the ever-pleasant back and forth between Batman and Aquaman.  With Green Lantern absent, the two alphas have no one to unite against in their mockery and have reverted to their power struggle. Aquaman is so confident his trident is bigger, he’s cocky even while asking for Batman’s help because the fish aren't listening to him [trust me, it’s more serious than it sounds...I think].

Google Translate: "Get the fuck out Gotham."

There isn't much more to be said.  After the rocky Cheetah arc - which I figure was to cement the WW/Supes relationship - Throne of Atlantis is shaping up to be the most interesting JL issue[s] thus far.  Throw the Shazam backup feature in there and you have a solid winner.  It’s fun to see Billy work through his powers and rapid growth through his child-like lenses.  Johns is really batting three-hundred in the creativity department. 

-It must be all that milk he’s drinking.-

The Bad:
There really is no “bad” this issue.  Cyborg doesn't get his airtime and Flash is busy in his solo series, but I prefer they not have characters standing around taking up panel space a dangerous but common problem some team-ups are susceptible to.  If they have “reasons” for being occupied that’s even less of a reason for me to be worried.  It’s not like it’s Renee Montoya we’re missing.  Or Cassandra Cain.

The Nitpicky:
Because sometimes nitpicking is important.  Once upon a time [literally right before reboot] DC said “Drawing the line at 2.99.”  This is what my poster says.  I’m staring at it right now.  So JL was $3.99.  Ok maybe I can get over that, because I love the Shazaam backup feature.  But then Batman’s $3.99.  And Detective Comics.  See the problem here?  I’m not exactly complaining, but I am saying not all backup features are as golden as Shazam, and a little freedom to choose would be nice.

Pencil Rogue Says:
Why are you even still here?  Go grab this comic if you haven’t already!  5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment